William T. Gibbs
William T. Gibbs is a partner at the Chicago personal injury and medical malpractice law firm of Corboy & Demetrio and concentrates his practice on cases arising from railroad negligence, automobile collisions, participation in sports, unsafe pharmaceuticals or medical devices, construction negligence, medical negligence, premises liability, product liability and aviation litigation.
For more than a decade at Corboy & Demetrio, Bill has obtained numerous record-setting and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. His list of representative clients demonstrates the diversity of his practice.
Bill secured a $29.6 million verdict on behalf of a woman who was brain damaged in the derailment of a speeding train in Chicago. The verdict is the largest in Illinois for an individual injured in a mass transit crash. In a Federal District Court case, he obtained a $6.6 million verdict for a family injured in an automobile collision. It was the largest verdict ever in that Court.
Recently, Bill secured a $6.75 million settlement for the family of Justyna Palka, who was a pedestrian killed by a tour bus in Chicago.
In his sports liability practice, Bill represented Hall-of-Fame White Sox player Frank Thomas in a medical malpractice action and the matter was "resolved amicably."
Bill currently represents numerous retired NFL players and the Estate of former Chicago Bear Dave Duerson against the NFL in litigation stemming from concussions and CTE suffered by Duerson.
Bill was appointed to the Plaintiff's Executive Committee by U.S. District Court Judge Susan Richard Nelson in Minnesota, which is overseeing individual lawsuits against the National Hockey League. In addition to this leadership role in the multi district litigation, Bill represents the Estate of former New York Rangers hockey enforcer Derek Boogaard in litigation against the NHL alleging the league failed to monitor the prescription of drugs by team doctors that led to Boogaard's death. Bill also represents the Estate of Steve Montador, the NHL player who died at the age of 35 after suffering multiple concussions and the effects of CTE.
Bill has appeared on national and international television networks discussing sports and C.T.E., including CNN, FOX Business News, Al Jazeera and Canadian National TV. He has been quoted numerous times by national and international media, including the New York Times, ESPN and Sports Illustrated.
He is currently a regular contributor to the Sporting Judgment section of the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin where he writes the column, Sports Torts.
In 2015, Bill was chosen for the highly-selective Illinois Super Lawyers, and in 2014-215, he was selected to the prestigious Illinois Leading Lawyers.
In October, 2009, Bill was named by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, which publishes the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer magazine, to its list of "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," and from 2009-2014, he was designated an Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star.
In 2013, The National Trial Lawyers named Bill one of the Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers in the country, and in 2014, he was named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers. In 2017, The National Trial Lawyers named Bill to NTL's Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association Top 25.
In 2008, Bill authored an article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man’s Act," which was published in the Illinois Bar Journal, a publication of the Illinois State Bar Association. Bill is a frequent panelist and lecturer to local and state bar associations, CLE seminars and law schools throughout the country.
Active in many community organizations, Bill is a member of the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation Advisory Board. Through the Mercy Home for Boys, he provides pro bono legal assistance to individuals who are unable to afford private counsel.
Bill was formerly a high school teacher and varsity football, basketball, and baseball coach. While at the University of Notre Dame, he was a defensive back on the varsity football team.
Leading Lawyers, 2014-Present
Illinois Super Lawyer 2015-Present
The National Trial Lawyers: Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association Top 25, 2017
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2014-Present
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40, 2013
"40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2009
Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star, 2009-2014
CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Philosophy, 2004
CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Writing, 2002
American Association for Justice (AAJ) formerly known as American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA)
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), Board of Managers, 2017-2018
Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Civil Practice Committee, Tort Litigation Committee
Notre Dame Law Association
Fenwick Bar Association, Treasurer, 2005-2008
Chicago Police Memorial Foundation Advisory Board Member
Mercy Home for Boys & Girls
Our Lady of Mercy Legal Clinic
Oz Park Baseball Association Board Member
Ronald McDonald House
- $7.5 Million Settlement for Family of Construction Worker Killed in Balcony Fall12.19.2017
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Concussion Lawsuit for Former Blackhawk Player & Lightning Coach Steve Ludzik
- Chicago Lawyer, 03.2009
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers01.2009
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2008
- Illinois Bar Journal, 07.2008
- Tom Demetrio Files Lawsuit Against Hyatt Corporation for Death of Internationally Renowned Hollywood Director Moustapha Akkad by Suicide Bomber in Jordan09.2007
- $1.25 Million Settlement Secured by Michael Demetrio and William Gibbs for Family of Realtor Killed by Drunk Driver08.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2006
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 09.20.2016
- Illinois Bar Journal, 07.2008
Seminars & Speeches
- "NFL/NCAA Concussion Litigation," Hot Topics in Sports Law Seminar, Valparaiso U. School of Law Sports and Entertainment Law Assoc., 2014
- “Confidentiality of Special Medical Records and Electronic Medical Records,” Medical Records Law Seminar, 2010, 2011
- "Motion Practice," Update & Review Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- "Illinois Evidence: The CSI Effect," Criminal and Civil Evidence Issues Seminar, 2008
- Judge, National Collegiate Trial Advocacy Competition, Indiana, 2005, 2006
- Judge, American Trial Lawyers Association Student Trial Advocacy Competition, 2005
Major Media Coverage
- WGN Radio, 01.25.2018
- WGN Radio, 08.01.2017
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 09.09.2013
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 08.29.2013
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 05.14.2013
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 08.14.2012
- Fox Business, 2012
IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, J.D., 2004
University of Portland, Portland, Oregon, M.A., 1999
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, B.A., 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court