Corboy & Demetrio's aviation litigation attorneys have helped victims and their families in nearly every major U.S. and several foreign aviation and airplane crash disasters since 1979 and our work has resulted in top and record-setting aviation settlements. Our highly successful and skilled aviation team of lawyers has experience in all areas of aviation and plane crash cases - pilot negligence, airline liability, manufacturers negligence, suppliers liability, government liability, jurisdictional issues, and liability apportionment.
Partner Thomas Demetrio, who secured the record-setting compensatory settlement of $25.2 million for the death of an airplane passenger, has been hailed by the prestigious legal news center and directory, Lawdragon as the "powerhouse" of aviation law and said, "when tragedy strikes, the families of plane crash victims have no greater ally."
Our firm currently represents the family of Somalia Prime Minister Staff Member Abdishakur Mohamed Shahaad, a citizen of Somalia who was killed in the crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight 302. The wrongful death lawsuit accuses Boeing of failing to properly warn pilots, airlines and the public of the risk of malfunctioning AOA sensors and automated MCAS dives following the crash of Lion Air #610.
Our firm currently represents the family of Lion Air passenger Sudibyo Onggo Wardoyo, 40, of Jakarta, Indonesia, who was killed in the crash of Lion Air Flight 610 in 2018. The wrongful death lawsuit, which was filed against Boeing, alleges the plane manufacturer failed to provide adequate instructions to pilots on how to respond to and disengage the plane’s anti-stall system.
Our firm also currently represents 15 passengers in lawsuits against Aeroméxico in the crash of Flight #2431 in Durango, Mexico in 2018.
In addition, Corboy & Demetrio Co-founder Thomas Demetrio represented United Airline passenger Dr. David Dao, obtaining a confidential settlement in just 18 days after the incident. Tom’s news conference with the Dao family was broadcast and streamed live globally and was covered by every major news outlet, including CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS Channel, the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune as well as several hundred other outlets.
We promptly and thoroughly investigate all aspects of aviation cases to determine fault and assess liability. Our attorneys work with injured individuals and their families to help them secure fair and full compensation for their loss and injuries.
Our experience in personal injury and wrongful death cases has resulted in top verdicts and settlements in many areas. Our clients have been well served - we have secured more than $4 billion in verdicts and settlements and have attained nearly 600 verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million.
Tom Demetrio acquired the largest compensatory damages settlement - $25.2 million - for the death of a passenger in the USAir jet crash outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was the top settlement for the death of a person in a commercial aviation wrongful death action at the time. The previous top record, a $25 million settlement in a case stemming from the crash of a United Airlines jet in Sioux City, Iowa, was also acquired by Corboy & Demetrio several years before the USAir record.
Leaders in Aviation Litigation
In many major aviation cases, our attorneys have been appointed lead counsel by the court.
We served as plaintiffs’ lead counsel in a consolidated case involving the crash of a USAir jet outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in which all passengers and crew members were killed. Five of the final cases in the crash settled for over $54 million.
Corboy & Demetrio was appointed lead plaintiffs’ counsel for the United Airlines jet crash at Sioux City, Iowa and the firm represented 38 passengers or their survivors in lawsuits filed as a result of the tragedy. In one of the worst aviation disaster in history, Corboy & Demetrio was also appointed lead counsel for the American Airlines flight 191 crash at O’Hare International Airport where 271 people on board and two people on the ground were killed.
Tom Demetrio and Michael Demetrio served as lead counsel in litigation stemming from the crash of an American Eagle plane near Morrisville, North Carolina, and as one of the lead plaintiffs’ counsel in the American Eagle crash that occurred near Roselawn, Indiana.
In other publicized cases, Tom Demetrio represented at trial a widow whose husband was killed with musician Jim Croce in a Louisiana plane crash, as well as the family of musician Stevie Ray Vaughan, who lost his life in a Wisconsin helicopter crash.
Our experience in international airplane crashes includes the representation of families of victims in the crash of a Paris-bound TWA jet off the coast of Long Island, as well as in the crashes of an Aero-Peru flight near Lima, Peru, and an American Airlines jet near Cali, Columbia.
Aviation Speakers and Authors
In addition to litigating aviation lawsuits, our attorneys are featured speakers on aviation litigation at legal seminars and write articles for other attorneys on the legal intricacies of aviation cases.
Attorney Michael Demetrio was a featured speaker at the legal seminar, "Anatomy of an Aviation Case," where he discussed the evaluation, analysis, decision-making and presentation skills needed in an aviation case. He addressed lawyers at the American Bar Association's Aviation Litigation Seminar in New York on the importance of an opening statement in an airplane crash trial.
Tom Demetrio and his brother, Michael Demetrio, authored the article "Beyond the Thunder," published in Trial, a national publication for trial lawyers. The article discusses the role weather can play in an airplane crash and advises personal injury lawyers on how to address and deal with weather issues in an airplane crash case. Michael Demetrio is also the author of a chapter in "Aviation - Causes of Action," published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Along with being involved in the litigation of commercial and private aviation disasters, the firm supports and contributes to the National Air Disaster Alliance/Foundation, an organization that addresses the needs of survivors and those affected by airline disasters. Watch our video of the Memorial Wall built for the families of the victims of the largest air disaster in U.S. history -- the crash of American Airlines flight 191. Corboy & Demetrio represented the families of 27 victims.
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Aircraft Accidents||Commercial, Business & Private Aircraft|
International Aviation Law
Helicopter Crash Litigation
U.S. Air Disasters
- Thomas Demetrio Blasts Boeing and FAA in BBC Radio Interview on Ethiopian Airlines & Lion Air Crashes04.05.2019
- Cuatro pasajeros más del vuelo accidentado de Aeroméxico presentan demandas contra la aerolínea mexicana08.2018
- Corboy & Demetrio inicia demandas en nombre de 11 pasajeros del accidente de aviación del vuelo 2431 de Aeroméxico
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- The Doings, 12.2007
- Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, 03.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2006
- Chicago Magazine, 2004
- Copyright 2000, USA TODAY. Reprinted with Permission, 01.2000
- Illinois Causes of Action: Tort Actions, 2014: Aviation Litigation - ChapterIllinois Causes of Action: Tort Actions, 2014, 06.2014
- Trial Magazine
- Trial Magazine, 04.2006
- Aviation Causes of Action, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2002, 2008, 2011IICLE, 06.2002
- Fighting the ElementsTrial Journal of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 08.1998
- Look for the Silver Lining - An Analysis of Weather-Related Air Crash DisastersTrial Magazine, 08.1998
Major Media Coverage
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by the Washington Post for the story, "Safety was Just a Given: Inside Boeing's Boardroom Amid the 737 Max Crisis"Washington Post, 05.05.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by BBC Radio’s news program, The World Tonight, about Boeing’s 737 Max and the Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines crash litigation.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by France TV’s leading news magazine show, Complementary Investigations, for a lengthy story on the Boeing 737 Max and that 737 Max and the Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines crash lawsuits.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by Yahoo Finance for the story, “Boeing faces at least 35 Lawsuits over its 737 Max 8 Aircraft Crashes”04.27.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by Bloomberg News Story for the story, “Wait for it: Why Boeing 737 Max Software Fix is Taking So Long”04.18.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by Chicago Tribune for the story, "Why Boeing 737 Max Software Fix is Taking Too Long"Chicago Tribune, 04.18.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by L.A. Times for the story, “Boeing has called its 737 Max 8 ‘not suitable’ for certain airports”04.11.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by The Daily Beast for the story, “Lion Air Lawsuit: Boeing Blindfolded and Tied the Hands of Pilots in Deadly Crash”03.18.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by The Daily Beast for the story, “Ethiopian Airlines Crash: New Boeing Jet Makes History with Two Fatal Accidents in First Year”03.10.2019
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by Chicago Tribune for the story, “Lawsuit filed in Cook Co. Claims Negligence by Boeing in Lion Air Crash in Java Sea that killed 189”12.31.2018
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by U.S. News & World Report for the story, “Lawsuit Against Boeing Over Lion Air Crash Demands Chicago Jury Trial”12.28.2018
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by SBS News (Australia) for the story, “U.S. Lawsuit Blames Lion Air Crash on Boeing’s ‘Dangerous’ Airplane"12.27.2018
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by The Jakarta Post for the story, "U.S. Lawsuit Lion Air Crash on Boeing’s ‘Dangerous' Airplane"12.27.2018
- Thomas Demetrio was interviewed by France TV for the story, “US Lawsuit Blames Lion Air Crash on Boeing’s Dangerous Airplane”12.26.2018
- Boomberg TV, 08.11.2018
- Partner Francis Patrick Murphy Speaks to Telemundo about the lawsuits filed for 11 Aeromexico PassengersTelemundo, 08.06.2018
- CBS2 - WBBM-TV, 08.06.2018
- Reuters, 08.06.2018
- The Points Guy, 04.20.2018
- Washington Post, 04.09.2018
- "Dog's Death Should Result in Significant Compensation" - Interview of Thomas Demetrio on the Death of French Bulldog "Kokito" and Airlines' Duty of Care to AnimalsMarketWatch, 03.14.2018
- Trial Magazine, 02.01.2018
- People Magazine online, 09.06.2017
- Nightline, Interview of Thomas Demetrio on airline passenger rights and Dr. David DaoABC News, 06.16.2017
- NBC Nightly News Interview of Thomas Demetrio about Dr. David Dao and airline passenger rightsNBC News , 04.24.2017
- Squawk Box, CNBC , 04.24.2017
- “Beyond the Thunder: Dealing effectively with adverse weather and its contribution to air disasters,” Trial Magazine, 199808.1998
- Corboy & Demetrio Mass Tort Litigation Blog, 11.30.2017