For over 50 years, we have represented victims in complex and serious personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from the negligence of others in designing, building, maintaining, and repairing homes, apartments, porches, decks, bridges, buildings, structures and industrial sites.
Our skilled and successful attorneys have experience in all areas of premises liability. We combine that exceptional experience with a deep commitment, dedication, and compassion for our clients, a relentless drive to achieve justice, and the resources necessary to pursue such serious cases. Our work has resulted in outstanding results for our clients and many record-setting settlements and verdicts.
Our Record of Success
- On the eve of trial, 10 victims injured or killed by the scaffolding that collapsed and fell from the John Hancock building in Chicago received $75 million in a global settlement for their personal injury and wrongful death claims. Thomas Demetrio was a lead attorney on the case;
A $16 million verdict was obtained by attorney Thomas Demetrio for a roofer who was severely injured when he came in contact with power lines as he was inspecting a roof;
The family of a young mother killed by a window that fell from the CNA Plaza building in Chicago received an $18 million settlement for a lawsuit filed against the architects, construction company and maintenance company by Corboy & Demetrio attorneys Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., and Robert Bingle;
A $16.6 million global settlement was obtained for the victims of the Lincoln Park porch collapse. Attorney Francis Patrick Murphy represented 14 of the victims or victim's family - the largest number of victims represented by one law firm.
A $7 million record-setting settlement for an 81 year-old woman who was injured when an automatic door at a Target store malfunctioned and knocked her to the ground was obtained by Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., and Kenneth Lumb;
In an important major premises liability case tried by Tom Demetrio, a Cook County Circuit Court jury awarded $6.2 million - an award later upheld by the Illinois Appellate Court - against Swift and Company for injuries suffered by two brothers who were severely burned in a chemical dust explosion at the grinding mill plant at which they worked;
A $5 million settlement for a college student who was standing at a bus stop and was injured by a car that slid on ice formed from a broken water main, which the City of Chicago failed to properly maintain. The student, who had to have his right leg amputated, was represented by Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. and Edward G. Willer.
Corboy & Demetrio attorneys secured a record-setting $4 million settlement for a young woman who fell from a porch when a railing broke away. It is the highest settlement in Illinois for an injury resulting from a defective porch structure;
In a case involving a J.C. Penney store, we secured a $5.2 million settlement - believed to be the largest ever for a slip-and-fall case with J.C. Penney - for a 74-year-old woman who tripped over a step in a fitting room at the department store, hitting her head on the fitting-room mirror, seriously injuring her;
Two young people, represented by Francis Patrick Murphy, agreed to settle their lawsuit for $2.15 million against the owners of an apartment building for the injuries they sustained when they fell four stories after a porch railing collapsed;
Attorney Murphy also settled a case for $1.5 million on behalf of the family of a 4-year-old boy who was killed when a 500-pound tombstone fell on top of him during the family's visit to a grave site in a cemetery. The cemetery was sued for negligently maintaining its grounds and tombstones;
A $1.3 million settlement was reached by attorney Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. with the Guest Quarters Suite Hotels in Chicago following the murder of a guest who was shot and killed while staying at the hotel. The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Chicago, alleged that the hotel failed to provide adequate security;
In other cases involving attacks at hotels, we represented guests who had been attacked and injured during their hotel stays. The theories of liability involved failure to provide adequate security, to properly screen hotel employees, and to warn of the danger of attacks.
Our representation includes, but is not limited, to the following areas:
|Apartment Building Injury||
|Industrial Site Injury||Commercial/Store Injury|
Bridge/Structural Collapse and Defect
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named #1 Super Lawyer in Illinois for 2017
- Corboy & Demetrio Named to 2017 Best Law Firms by U.S. News
- Global Settlement of $100 Million for Loop Office High-Rise Fire Victims
- Corboy & Demetrio - Leaders in Bridge and Structural Collapse and Defect Litigation
- Corboy & Demetrio Uniformly Judged to be the Best of the Best
- $75 Million Settlement for Victims in Hancock Scaffolding Accident
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America, 2016 Edition
- Irish Media Interview Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys about Fatal Berkeley Balcony Collapse
- $16.6 Million Global Settlement in Lincoln Park Porch Collapse Lawsuit
- Attorney Patrick Murphy Files Lawsuit in Chicago Porch Collapse
- Patrick Murphy Settles Case of Couple Who Fell 4 Stories When Porch Railing Collapsed for $2.15 Million
- Corboy & Demetrio Leaders in Fire, Explosion and Burn Injury Litigation
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Selected for 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Two Legionnaires’ Deaths Hit Home for Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers involved in ’98 Case
- Thomas A. Demetrio Applauds 100 Club of Chicago’s 2013 Membership Drive
- "The Powerhouse of Aviation and Medical Malpractice," Thomas Demetrio
- Corboy & Demetrio Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ by U.S. News & Best Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Lawsuit Against City and Park District in Drowning of Two Adults in Kankakee River
- Knocked Down Shopper Settles Case
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $1 Million in Slip and Fall of Choir Member
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Corboy & Demetrio’s $740,000 Slip and Fall Verdict Affirmed on Appeal
- Thomas A. Demetrio Signs Statement of Support for the U.S. National Guard and Reserve
- Estate of John Fasula Order
- Fasula Family Statement
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Emergency Petition to Investigate Fire in South Shore High-Rise
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Lawsuit in Legionnaire’s Outbreak at Chicago Marriott Hotel
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized with National Ranking in Best Law Firms 2013 by U.S. News
- Five Corboy & Demetrio Partners Selected for Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyer Installed as First Vice President of Women's Bar Group
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Receives Distinguished Alumnus Award from DePaul Univ. College of Law
- Philip H. Corboy, Jr. to Speak at Continuing Legal Education Conference
- Edward G. Willer Named to IL Supreme Court Committee on Character & Fitness
- Corboy & Demetrio Announces Jury Awards $740,000 to Chicago Woman who Tripped on Stairs
- Thirteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected Leading Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Launches New Mobile Website
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Suit on Behalf of Worker Crushed to Death at Blue Island Plant
- Attorney Murphy Featured on Fox News Regarding Defective Decks, Porches, Railings
- Leaders in Construction Site Accident Litigation
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $1 Million Settlement for Homeowner Injured When Deck Collapses
- Lawsuit Filed in Lakeview Porch Collapse; Protective Order Issued
- $16 Million Verdict Returned in Roofing Injury
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $2.7 Million Settlement in Death from Defective Deck
- Porch, Deck, Balcony Safety - Inspect Structures Now Says Attorney Murphy
- Jury Verdict Secured by Corboy & Demetrio Affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures Settlement in Minee-Subee Day Care Center Lawsuit
- Corboy & Demetrio Sues Nicor for Home Gas Explosion, Fire and Residents’ Injuries
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorney Schwartz Appointed to Women’s Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Chicago Firefighters, Injured While Battling Fire, Receive Over $1 Million
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Discusses How the Economy Has Impacted the Practice and Perception of the Law
- $7 Million Record-Setting Settlement for Senior Injured at Target
- William Gibbs Selected in "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch"
- Attorney Francis Patrick Murphy on Porch & Deck Safety
- Attorney Michelle Kohut Elected President of Women Everywhere - Partners in Service Project, Inc.
- Attorney Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Attorney Susan Schwartz Profiled in Feature Article in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Robert Bingle Profiled in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Named Partner Tom Demetrio Featured on Bulletproof Blog
- Attorney Francis Patrick Murphy Featured on Fox News Chicago
- Porch/Deck Collapse Lawsuit Filed
- U.S. Senator Dick Durbin Appoints Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. to Screening Committee
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Appointed to the Equal Justice Illinois Campaign Blue-Ribbon Committee
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $6 Million in Death of Worker in Clark Oil Refinery Fire
- Attorney Thomas Demetrio Featured in Illinois Super Lawyer Magazine
- Michelle Kohut, Corboy & Demetrio Trial Lawyer, Elected Treasurer of Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Named One of the Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Edward Willer and Kenneth Lumb Selected as Leading Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 2008
- $48 Million Awarded Paraplegic for Injury at Work
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Settlement of $1.4 Million
- "A Decade Later, Former Amoco Employees Continue to Die From Brain Cancer"
- Corboy & Demetrio Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms
- Record-Setting Settlement by William Gibbs for Three Year-Old Injured at Outdoor Twirling Tunnel
- William Gibbs' article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man's Act," Published
- Michael Demetrio Discusses Chinatown Redline CTA Truck Crash Court Proceedings with Media
- CTA Red Line Chinatown Truck Case Discussed by Michael Demetrio on WBBM Newsradio 780
- Kenneth Lumb Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Discovery and Injunctive Relief in Lane Bryant Case Secured
- Thomas Demetrio "Lion of Chicago's Trial Bar"
- Appellate Court Affirms $16 Million Wheeler Settlement
- "Personal Injury Attorney’s Advice: Never Underestimate the Intelligence of Jury"
- First Settlement Under the Illinois Drug or Alcohol Impaired Minor Responsibility Act
- Tom Demetrio Files Lawsuit Against Hyatt Corporation for Death of Internationally Renowned Hollywood Director Moustapha Akkad by Suicide Bomber in Jordan
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2007
- $2 Million Settlement for Roofer Who Fractured Heel Secured by Corboy & Demetrio
- Michelle M. Kohut Appointed to Two Boards of Directors
- Lawsuits Filed by Corboy & Demetrio in Wrigleyville Fire Tragedy
- Thomas A. Demetrio Profiled
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named One of the Top Plaintiff’s Lawyers in Nation
- Tom Demetrio "Stands Alone Atop the Chicago Trial Bar for 100 Million Reasons"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2006
- Hancock Scaffolding Accident Global Settlement
- Tom Demetrio "Chicago’s Top Trial Lawyer"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2005
- Thomas Demetrio "The Star of the Chicago Plaintiffs' Bar"
- "Lawyers Hunt For Foreign Defendants Here and Leave"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2004
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2003
- "Lawyers to See Remains of Porch"
- Court Grants Patrick Murphy's Request for Emergency Order
- Daniel Kirschner Honored as One of Chicago's Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 Years of Age
- "Aiding Public, Profession on New CBA President's Menu"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2002
- C&D Again Atop Chicago Lawyer Magazine Settlement Survey
- "Chem-Plant Blast Yields $7.6 Million Settlement - Finally"