Railroad Negligence & FELA
When a crossing gate does not work, a light is defective or a warning does not sound, a railroad has failed to exercise its ordinary duty of care. Should an injury or death occur as a result of the railroad’s negligence, Corboy & Demetrio has the experience and the resources necessary to pursue such serious and often expensive cases.
Our skilled attorneys have the expertise required in all areas of railroad negligence. That exceptional experience, combined with a deep commitment, dedication and compassion and a relentless drive to achieve justice and fair and full compensation, has resulted in outstanding verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Below is a sample of the results we have achieved.
- A $22.5 million settlement for the victim of the Rockford trail derailment.
- A $6.5 million settlement for the family of a dance instructor killed by train
- A $29.6 million record-setting verdict secured by Corboy & Demetrio attorneys Tom Demetrio and William Gibbs for a passenger injured when a Metra train derailed and crashed. It is the largest verdict in Illinois for an individual injured in a mass transit crash.
Over $41 million has been recovered for twenty-seven of the thirty-five victims or their families represented by Corboy & Demetrio in the 2005 Metra train crash. Eight cases are still pending.
- In a highly publicized and tragic railroad collisions, Corboy & Demetrio represented the families of three high-school students killed and seven others injured when a commuter train collided with a school bus in northwest suburban Chicago. The global settlement on the case was over $25 million Thomas A. Demetrio and managing partner Robert J. Bingle served as lead plaintiffs' counsel in the litigation stemming from the tragedy. The accident led to the nationwide inspections of 3,000 rail crossings with similar equipment and to new safety procedures and training of bus operators in the school district in which the collision occurred.
- In another railroad case, managing partner Robert J. Bingle obtained a $7.5 million verdict - the highest amount awarded in Illinois to an individual suffering the loss of a limb - after the plaintiff was struck by a train.
- In a case handled by partner Patrick Murphy and Robert Bingle, a Cook County jury awarded nearly $3 million to a man who lost half of his left leg and part of his right foot in a train accident.
- Partner Michael K. Demetrio was the lead attorney in litigation stemming from the crash of an Amtrak train in Bourbonnais, Illinois. On behalf of the victims represented by Corboy & Demetrio, millions have been recovered by the victims or the victims’ families.
- In pre-trial mediation conferences, attorneys for the families of three railroad workers electrocuted on the job reached settlement agreements with the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad Company, Taylor Machine Works and Commonwealth Edison totaling $10 million. Managing Partner Robert J. Bingle represented the family of one of the victims.
- Corboy & Demetrio attorneys settled an FELA claim on behalf of the estate of an employee of the Union Pacific railroad company for $1.4 million. The employee was struck by a train while working with the Union Pacific on a surfacing gang.
The law firm represents 66 victims of the crash. We also represent a California family who was on their way home from church when the car they were in entered a railroad crossing where the gates were not lowered and the car was hit by a Metrolink train resulting in two deaths.
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Railroad Accidents||Railroad Litigation|
|Railroad Negligence||Federal Employee Liability Act|
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Discusses How the Economy Has Impacted the Practice and Perception of the Law12.2009
- Michelle Kohut, Corboy & Demetrio Trial Lawyer, Elected Treasurer of Women’s Bar Association of Illinois03.2009
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers01.2009
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 200801.2009
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2008
- Illinois Bar Journal, 07.2008
- The Doings, 12.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2007
- Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, 03.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2006
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2005
- Chicago Sun Times, 08.2004
- Chicago Magazine, 2004
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2003
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 07.2003
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 06.2003
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2002
- Chicago Lawyer, 10.2000
- Illinois Bar Journal, 07.2008
- Trial Journal, 01.2008
- Trial Magazine, 04.2006
- Motor Vehicle Actions - Railroad, 2002, 2008IICLE Publication: Illinois Causes of Action - Elements, Forms and Winning Tips: Tort Actions, Handbook, 2002, 2002