A driver's negligence can cost victims their lives, their livelihoods and significantly interfere with their way of life. At Corboy & Demetrio, a Chicago-based personal injury law firm of top-rated personal injury lawyers, we have been litigating car, truck, bus, motorcycle, taxi, boat, bicycle and other vehicular cases for many years. Our experience has resulted in top verdicts and settlements and our clients have been well served - we have secured more than $4 billion in verdicts and settlements and have attained nearly 600 verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million.
We promptly and thoroughly investigate our cases to determine fault and assess liability. Our highly skilled, experienced and successful Chicago attorneys work with injured individuals and their families to help them secure fair and full compensation for their loss and injuries.
Our Record of Success
- The Illinois Supreme Court upheld a damages award of nearly $22 million for a woman rendered a quadriplegic when the car she was driving was hit from behind by a semitrailer truck. The award is the largest compensatory verdict for an individual ever upheld by the Illinois Supreme Court.
- Tom Demetrio acquired a record $40 million verdict in a case where a woman - wife and mother - was horribly injured when her car was hit by a truck. The verdict represented compensation to her for $34 million, plus $6 million to her husband for the loss of his wife's companionship.
- With Robert Bingle as lead counsel for all plaintiffs, more than $25 million was secured in the Fox River Grove school bus crash litigation where 7 children were killed and others injured when the bus carrying the children was hit by a Metra train.
- A record-setting verdict of $9.5 million was awarded to the surviving family of Chicago hockey legend Keith Magnuson who was killed when the driver of the car he was a passenger in crossed the center line and crashed head-on into another car. It is the largest jury verdict for a personal injury or wrongful death case in St. Louis County, Missouri.
- A record jury verdict of more than $16 million - the highest compensatory award in the history of Illinois at the time - was secured by Tom Demetrio for a pedestrian struck and injured by a limousine driver.
- A jury jury verdict of $8 million for the family of Homewood wife and mother who was fatally struck by a truck as she stood on the shoulder of I-294 to investigate a flat tire. Her Estate was represented by Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr.
- While driving home from a video store on his motorcycle, a 46-year-old carpenter was injured when his bike was hit by a truck pulling out from a stop sign. Represented by Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., he settled his lawsuit against the driver and his employer for $3.75 million.
- A $6.6 Million record-setting verdict was awarded Corboy & Demetrio attorneys Michael Demetrio, Robert Bingle and William Gibbs for a case in which a semi-tractor trailer truck crashed into the vehicle of a family on Interstate 80, killing one passenger and injuring the driver. It is the largest verdict of its kind in a civil case by a Federal District Court in Omaha, Nebraska.
- A $3.45 million Federal Court settlement was secured by partner Robert Bingle for a family injured when a truck hit the car they were traveling in on the Interstate.
- Partner Robert Bingle negotiated a $10 million settlement for a teenager who was trapped and burned in her car, due to the negligence of a truck driver.
- After three weeks of trial, Michael Demetrio acquired a $3,950,000 settlement with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) in a case where the plaintiff was hit by a CTA bus at night while crossing the street mid-block.
- Prior to filing a lawsuit, the family of a realtor, represented by Michael Demetrio and William Gibbs, agreed to a settlement of its claim against a drunk driver for $1.25 million.
- A $10 million settlement was secured by attorney Daniel Kirschner for a 25 year-old disabled woman who was struck by a car after a bus discharged her in the middle of the street.
- A $7.4 million settlement for a 25-year-old nanny who was pushing a toddler in a stroller in a crowd in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood when a Chicago Streets & Sanitation worker plowed into her. She suffered multiple fractures to her pelvis, hips and legs as well as degloving injuries. She was represented by Thomas A. Demetrio.
- Francis Patrick Murphy negotiated a settlement of $5.75 million for the surviving family in the death of a 41 year-old wife and mother caused by a Cook County Sheriff’s deputy who drove in excess of 70 mph on a non-emergency call and through a red light, broadsiding the woman’s car.
- A $6.8 million settlement on behalf of an elderly married couple was secured by Francis Patrick Murphy for the injuries the couple suffered when hit by a PACE bus.
- A Kane County jury, after two weeks of trial, returned the second highest personal injury verdict in its history when it found for the plaintiffs, a married couple, represented by Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., in the amount of $4,543,930.00, for the injuries they sustained as passengers in a car involved in a car collision.
- A record-high settlement of $2.5 million for the death of an 88 year-old woman was reached by Francis Patrick Murphy who represented the estate in its claim against the driver who hit the woman’s car.
For further information about the outstanding results Corboy & Demetrio has achieved in vehicular negligence cases, as well as other personal injury and wrongful death cases, visit Our Record of Success.
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Vehicles - Automobile, Motorcycle, Boat, Bus, Cab, Minivan, Off-Road/Recreational Vehicle, Taxi, Truck, SUV, Watercraft, Bicycle, Ambulance, Fire Truck, Squad Car, Snow Mobile|
|Airbag Defects||Brake Failure|
|Seat Belt Defects||Transportation Negligence|
- $3.45 Million Federal Court Settlement for Family Injured in Interstate Crash Secured by Robert Bingle
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $2 Million Settlement for Family of Teenager Killed by Domino's Pizza Delivery Car06.29.2012
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Discusses How the Economy Has Impacted the Practice and Perception of the Law12.2009
- Michelle Kohut, Corboy & Demetrio Trial Lawyer, Elected Treasurer of Women’s Bar Association of Illinois03.2009
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers01.2009
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 200801.2009
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2008
- Illinois Bar Journal, 07.2008
- The Doings, 12.2007
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Pedestrian Whose Legs Were Crushed by Driver on Cell Phone08.2007
- $1.25 Million Settlement Secured by Michael Demetrio and William Gibbs for Family of Realtor Killed by Drunk Driver08.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2007
- Lawsuit Filed by Managing Partner Robert Bingle on Behalf of Pedestrians Injured by Car Driven Into Crowd Near Durkin Park07.2007
- Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, 03.2007
- Trial Journal, 2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2006
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2005
- Chicago Sun Times, 08.2004
- Chicago Magazine, 2004
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2003
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 07.2003
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 06.2003
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2002
- Chicago Lawyer, 10.2000
- Illinois Bar Journal, 07.2008
- Trial Journal, 01.2008
- Trial Magazine, 04.2006
- The Liability of Non-Operator DefendantIllinois Trial Lawyers Association, 04.2002
- Motor Vehicle Actions - Railroad, 2002, 2008IICLE Publication: Illinois Causes of Action - Elements, Forms and Winning Tips: Tort Actions, Handbook, 2002, 2002
- Practical Approach for Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist ClaimsProfessional Education Systems, Inc., 1990