Medical malpractice (more correctly referred to as medical negligence) occurs when a healthcare provider, in acting or failing to act, does not comply with the standard of care in the pertinent medical field. It includes misdiagnosis, the failure to provide appropriate treatment or a delay of treatment. For example, medical malpractice may happen when a patient is not properly taken care of during surgery, when a doctor fails to read test results, when medicine is improperly prescribed, or when a patient is not adequately monitored while in the hospital.
The standard of care required in medical malpractice cases often depends on the state in which the malpractice occurred and the area of medicine. As a result, it is best to consult a medical malpractice attorney that is qualified, experienced, and successful to determine if you have a meritorious case.
For more than 50 years the Chicago medical malpractice attorneys at Corboy & Demetrio have represented hundreds of individuals injured or killed as the result of negligent treatment by doctors, nurses, hospitals, and other health-care individuals and facilities. Our medical malpractice team consists of five highly experienced and successful attorneys and two experienced registered nurses dedicated exclusively to the evaluation, preparation and trial of these cases.
Our success in representing victims in personal injury and wrongful death cases has been exceptional - we have acquired more than $3 billion in settlements and verdicts, of which nearly 600 were in excess of $1 million.
Our Record of Success in Medical Malpractice:
- A record-setting $22 million verdict for the surviving family of a young mother who died after giving birth when the doctor and nurse failed to properly treat her high blood pressure.
- A settlement of $19.5 million for the failure of Evanston Hospital to properly treat a stroke.
- After an eight day jury trial in Lake County, Illinois, a record-setting $6 million verdict for the wrongful death of a woman who died while receiving anesthesia.
- A $16.5 million record verdict - the highest jury award in an obstetric medical malpractice case in Cook County at the time it was rendered - on behald of a young girl who suffered brain damage at birth due to the negligence of a suburban Chicago hospital and obstetrician.
- Two multi-million settlements achieved right before final arguments to the jury - $17.5 million for a young woman who suffered a hemorrhagic stroke when a large aneurysm ruptured after an emergency room physician failed to diagnose a "warning leak" and $20 million for permanent brachial plexus nerve injuries suffered by a baby during deliver.
To consult with a Chicago medical malpractice lawyer at Corboy & Demetrio, call 312.346.3191. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Professional Malpractice - Dentist, Doctor, Hospital, Nurse, Pharmacist, Therapist|
|Birth Injuries||Birth Trauma|
|Dental Malpractice||Failure to Diagnose|
|Healthcare Litigation||Hospital Liability|
|Hospital Negligence||Insurance Malpractice|
|Medical Negligence||Nursing Malpractice|
|Nursing Home Abuse||Nursing Home Negligence|
|Pediatric Malpractice||Pharmaceutical Malpractice|
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Thomas A. Demetrio Applauds 100 Club of Chicago’s 2013 Membership Drive
- Thomas A. Demetrio Signs Statement of Support for the U.S. National Guard and Reserve
- Corboy & Demetrio Partner Thomas A. Demetrio Awarded for Supporting U.S. Military
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized with National Ranking in Best Law Firms 2013 by U.S. News
- Five Corboy & Demetrio Partners Selected for Best Lawyers in America 2013
- William T. Gibbs Speaks at Annual Conference of Brain Assoc. of Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyer Ken Lumb Takes Part in National Distracted Driving Campaign
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named to Crain’s Who’s Who in Chicago Business 2012
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyer Installed as First Vice President of Women's Bar Group
- Corboy & Demetrio Uniformly Judged to be the Best of the Best
- Philip H. Corboy, Jr. to Speak at Continuing Legal Education Conference
- Daniel S. Kirschner & Margaret M. Power are Named Leading Lawyers for 2012
- Thirteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected Leading Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $2.5 Million Settlement for Patient Who Dies After Surgery
- Tom Demetrio Named 2011 Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year
- Corboy & Demetrio Launches New Mobile Website
- Tom Demetrio Featured on WTTW Channel 11’s Chicago Tonight
- Corboy & Demetrio - The Leaders in Medical Malpractice
- Attorney Schwartz Appointed to the Board of Directors for Coordinated Advice & Referral Program for Legal Services
- C&D Receives Highest Ranking for Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury
- $3.5 Million Settlement for Family of Girl Killed in Fire Started by Utility Lighter
- $1.9 Million Settlement Obtained for Injured Driver
- DuPage County Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Settles for $1.7 Million
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $9.5 Million Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Settlement
- Corboy & Demetrio Medical Malpractice Lawyer Proponent of Victims' Rights
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorney Schwartz Appointed to Women’s Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Attorney David Barry, Jr., Discusses Damages in Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer Ken Lumb Secures $2.75 Million Settlement
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorney David Barry, Jr., Featured Speaker at Obstetric Medical Malpractice Seminar
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $9 Million Medical Malpractice Settlement
- $1.5 Million Medical Malpractice Settlement for Failure to Treat Jaundice
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio's $3.45 Million Settlement in Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Reported in Law Bulletin
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Secure $11.4 Million Recovery in Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
- David R. Barry Featured Speaker at Medical Malpractice Seminar
- $5.5 Million Settlement for Failure to Properly Treat Pregnant Woman
- $4 Million Settlement for Cerebral Air Embolism
- $7.75 Million Settlement for Failure to Properly Treat Infant for Elevated Bilirubin
- $3 Million Settlement for Bariatric Surgery Performed Backward
- Susan J. Schwartz Secures $1 Million Settlement for Death of Infant
- $1.75 Million Settlement Secured by Corboy & Demetrio
- David Barry Obtains $1.9 Million Settlement for Delay in Diagnosis and Treatment of Spinal Abscess
- David Barry Secures $3.8 Million Settlement for Boy Blinded in One Eye
- David Barry and Susan Schwartz Secure Record-Setting $22 Million Verdict for Family in Death of Mother After Childbirth
- $11.5 Million Settlement for Failure to Deliver Infant in Timely Manner Negotiated by David Barry
- $1.8 Million U.S. District Court Award Secured by Corboy & Demetrio
- Court Grants Injunctive Relief in Organ Donor Transplant Case
- $1.25 Million Settlement for Family of Child who Suffered Stroke Prior to Birth
- $6 Million Record-Setting Verdict in Lake County Secured by Corboy & Demetrio
- $19.5 Million Settlement in Medical Malpractice Case
- David Barry Files Lawsuit Against Columnist Doctor
- Birth Negligence Case Yields Record $16.5 Million Verdict
- $8.5 Million Settlement Approved for Brain Damage at Birth
- "Elements of a $12 Million Personal Injury Case"