Corboy & Demetrio's aviation litigation attorneys have helped victims and their families in nearly every major U.S. and several foreign aviation and airplane crash disasters since 1979 and our work has resulted in top and record-setting aviation settlements. Our highly successful and skilled aviation team of lawyers has experience in all areas of aviation and plane crash cases - pilot negligence, airline liability, manufacturers negligence, suppliers liability, government liability, jurisdictional issues, and liability apportionment.
Partner Thomas Demetrio, who secured the record-setting compensatory settlement of $25.2 million for the death of an airplane passenger, has been hailed by the prestigious legal news center and directory, Lawdragonas the "powerhouse" of aviation law and said, "when tragedy strikes, the families of plane crash victims have no greater ally."
We promptly and thoroughly investigate all aspects of aviation cases to determine fault and assess liability. Our attorneys work with injured individuals and their families to help them secure fair and full compensation for their loss and injuries.
Our experience in personal injury and wrongful death cases has resulted in top verdicts and settlements in many areas. Our clients have been well served - we have secured more than $3 billion in verdicts and settlements and have attained nearly 600 verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million.
Tom Demetrio acquired the largest compensatory damages settlement - $25.2 million - for the death of a passenger in the USAir jet crash outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was the top settlementfor the death of a person in a commercial aviation wrongful death action at the time. The previous top record, a $25 million settlement in a case stemming from the crash of a United Airlines jet in Sioux City, Iowa, was also acquired by Corboy & Demetrio several years before the USAir record.
Leaders in Aviation Litigation
In many major aviation cases, our attorneys have been appointed lead counsel by the court.
We served as plaintiffs’ lead counsel in a consolidated case involving the crash of a USAir jet outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in which all passengers and crew members were killed. Five of the final cases in the crash settled for over $54 million.
Corboy & Demetrio was appointed lead plaintiffs’ counsel for the United Airlines jet crash at Sioux City, Iowa and the firm represented 38 passengers or their survivors in lawsuits filed as a result of the tragedy. In one of the worst aviation disaster in history, Corboy & Demetrio was also appointed lead counsel for the American Airlines flight 191 crash at O’Hare International Airport where 271 people on board and two people on the ground were killed.
Tom Demetrio and Michael Demetrio served as lead counsel in litigation stemming from the crash of an American Eagle plane near Morrisville, North Carolina, and as one of the lead plaintiffs’ counsel in the American Eagle crash that occurred near Roselawn, Indiana.
In other publicized cases, Tom Demetrio represented at trial a widow whose husband was killed with musician Jim Croce in a Louisiana plane crash, as well as the family of musician Stevie Ray Vaughan, who lost his life in a Wisconsin helicopter crash.
Our experience in international airplane crashes includes the representation of families of victims in the crash of a Paris-bound TWA jet off the coast of Long Island, as well as in the crashes of an Aero-Peru flight near Lima, Peru, and an American Airlines jet near Cali, Columbia.
Aviation Speakers and Authors
In addition to litigating aviation lawsuits, our attorneys are featured speakers on aviation litigation at legal seminars and write articles for other attorneys on the legal intricacies of aviation cases.
Attorney Michael Demetrio was a featured speaker at the legal seminar, "Anatomy of an Aviation Case," where he discussed the evaluation, analysis, decision-making and presentation skills needed in an aviation case. Last year he addressed lawyers at the American Bar Association's Aviation Litigation Seminar in New York on the importance of an opening statement in an airplane crash trial.
Tom Demetrio and his brother, Michael Demetrio, authored the article "Beyond the Thunder," published in Trial, a national publication for trial lawyers. The article discusses the role weather can play in an airplane crash and advises personal injury lawyers on how to address and deal with weather issues in an airplane crash case. Michael Demetrio is also the author of a chapter in "Aviation - Causes of Action," published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Along with being involved in the litigation of commercial and private aviation disasters, the firm supports and contributes to the National Air Disaster Alliance/Foundation, an organization that addresses the needs of survivors and those affected by airline disasters.
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Aircraft Accidents||Aviation Accidents|
|Aircraft Negligence||Aviation Litigation|
|Aircraft Litigation||Commercial, Business & Private Aircraft|
Helicopter Crash Litigation
Airplane Crash Litigation
International Aviation Law
- Single Settlement Record Of $25.2 Million Reached In 1994 Boeing / US Airways Crash
- "$110 Million Accord Told in American Eagle Plane Crash"
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America, 2016 Edition
- Corboy & Demetrio Uniformly Judged to be the Best of the Best
- Thomas Demetrio Obtains $1.2 Million Verdict in Cessna Twin-Engine Plane Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains Confidential Settlement on Behalf of Passenger in Aspen Plane Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio’s Thomas Demetrio Speaks to Media in California about Crash of Asiana Flight 214
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Lawsuit against Airline in Plane Crash near Midway
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Selected for 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Chicago Lawyer Thomas Demetrio interviewed by Korean Media about Asiana Plane Crash Lawsuits
- Thomas A. Demetrio Applauds 100 Club of Chicago’s 2013 Membership Drive
- "The Powerhouse of Aviation and Medical Malpractice," Thomas Demetrio
- Corboy & Demetrio Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ by U.S. News & Best Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Corboy & Demetrio - The Leader in Aviation Litigation
- Thomas A. Demetrio Signs Statement of Support for the U.S. National Guard and Reserve
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized with National Ranking in Best Law Firms 2013 by U.S. News
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named to Crain’s Who’s Who in Chicago Business 2012
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $2 Million Settlement for Family of Teenager Killed by Domino's Pizza Delivery Car
- "Accords In '94 USAir Crash Top $48 Million"
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Receives Distinguished Alumnus Award from DePaul Univ. College of Law
- Philip H. Corboy, Jr. to Speak at Continuing Legal Education Conference
- Thirteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected Leading Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Launches New Mobile Website
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorney Schwartz Appointed to Women’s Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Discusses How the Economy Has Impacted the Practice and Perception of the Law
- William Gibbs Selected in "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch"
- Attorney Francis Patrick Murphy on Porch & Deck Safety
- Attorney Michelle Kohut Elected President of Women Everywhere - Partners in Service Project, Inc.
- Attorney Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Attorney Susan Schwartz Profiled in Feature Article in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Robert Bingle Profiled in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Named Partner Tom Demetrio Featured on Bulletproof Blog
- U.S. Senator Dick Durbin Appoints Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. to Screening Committee
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Appointed to the Equal Justice Illinois Campaign Blue-Ribbon Committee
- Attorney Thomas Demetrio Featured in Illinois Super Lawyer Magazine
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Named One of the Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 2008
- Corboy & Demetrio Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms
- William Gibbs' article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man's Act," Published
- Michael Demetrio Featured Speaker at American Bar Association Aviation Seminar
- Thomas Demetrio "Lion of Chicago's Trial Bar"
- "Personal Injury Attorney’s Advice: Never Underestimate the Intelligence of Jury"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2007
- Thomas A. Demetrio Profiled
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named One of the Top Plaintiff’s Lawyers in Nation
- Tom Demetrio "Stands Alone Atop the Chicago Trial Bar for 100 Million Reasons"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2006
- Tom Demetrio "Chicago’s Top Trial Lawyer"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2005
- Thomas Demetrio "The Star of the Chicago Plaintiffs' Bar"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2004
- Daniel Kirschner Honored as One of Chicago's Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 Years of Age
- "Aiding Public, Profession on New CBA President's Menu"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2002
- C&D Again Atop Chicago Lawyer Magazine Settlement Survey
- "Settling Up: How Lawyers Build A Case To Make Corporations Pay When People Die In An Air Disaster"