- Aviation Litigation
- Construction Negligence
- Medical Devices
- Medical Negligence
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Sports Liability
- Railroad Negligence & FELA
- Vehicular Negligence
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, J.D., 2004
- University of Portland, Portland, Oregon, M.A., 1999
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, B.A., 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
William T. Gibbs is a partner at the Chicago personal injury and medical malpractice law firm of Corboy & Demetrio and concentrates his practice on cases arising from railroad negligence, automobile collisions, participation in sports, unsafe pharmaceuticals or medical devices, construction negligence, medical negligence, premises liability, product liability and aviation litigation.
For more than a decade at Corboy & Demetrio, Bill has obtained numerous record-setting and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. His list of representative clients demonstrates the diversity of his practice.
Bill secured a $29.6 million verdict on behalf of a woman who was brain damaged in the derailment of a speeding train in Chicago. The verdict is the largest in Illinois for an individual injured in a mass transit crash. In a Federal District Court case, he obtained a $6.6 million verdict for a family injured in an automobile collision. It was the largest verdict ever in that Court.
Recently, Bill secured a $6.75 million settlement for the family of Justyna Palka, who was a pedestrian killed by a tour bus in Chicago.
In his sports liability practice, Bill represented Hall-of-Fame White Sox player Frank Thomas in a medical malpractice action and the matter was "resolved amicably."
Bill currently represents numerous retired NFL players and the Estate of former Chicago Bear Dave Duerson against the NFL in litigation stemming from concussions and CTE suffered by Duerson.
Bill was recently appointed to the Plaintiff's Executive Committee by U.S. District Court Judge Susan Richard Nelson in Minnesota, which is overseeing individual lawsuits against the National Hockey League. In addition to this leadership role in the multi district litigation, Bill represents the Estate of former New York Rangers hockey enforcer Derek Boogaard in litigation against the NHL alleging the league failed to monitor the prescription of drugs by team doctors that led to Boogaard's death. Bill also represents the Estate of Steve Montador, the NHL player who died at the age of 35 after suffering multiple concussions and the effects of CTE.
Bill has appeared on national and international television networks discussing sports and C.T.E., including CNN, FOX Business News, Al Jazeera and Canadian National TV. He has been quoted numerous times by national and international media, including the New York Times, ESPN and Sports Illustrated.
He is currently a regular contributor to the Sporting Judgment column in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin where he writes about sports liability.
In 2015, Bill was chosen for the highly-selectiveIllinois Super Lawyers, and in 2014-215, he was selected to the prestigious Illinois Leading Lawyers.
In October, 2009, Bill was named by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, which publishes the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer magazine, to its list of "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," and for the last four years, he has been designated an Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star.
In 2013, The National Trial Lawyers named Bill one of the Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers in the country, and in 2014, he was named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
In 2008, Bill authored an article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man’s Act," which was published in the Illinois Bar Journal, a publication of the Illinois State Bar Association. Bill is a frequent panelist and lecturer to local and state bar associations, CLE seminars and law schools throughout the country.
Active in many community organizations, Bill is a member of the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation Advisory Board. Through the Mercy Home for Boys, he provides pro bono legal assistance to individuals who are unable to afford private counsel.
Bill was formerly a high school teacher and varsity football, basketball, and baseball coach. While at the University of Notre Dame, he was a defensive back on the varsity football team.
- NHL Fathers Support Sen. Blumenthal’s Inquiry of NHL Commissioner
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $6.75 Million for German Pedestrian Killed by Charter Bus
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $5.1 Million Settlement in 2010 Megabus Crash
- William Gibbs Appears Live on Al Jazeera TV Network to Discuss C.T.E. & the NFL Admission
- $29.6 Million Record-Setting Verdict for Passenger in Metra Train Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $6 Million for Family of Dancer Killed by Amtrak Train
- Corboy & Demetrio - Leaders in Bridge and Structural Collapse and Defect Litigation
- Dave Duerson's Son and Family Appalled at Commissioner Goodell's Insensitivity
- Corboy & Demetrio has Highest Medical Malpractice Recovery Rate & Median Recovery in IL
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $22.5 Million for Victim of Rockford Train Derailment & Explosion
- Corboy & Demetrio Jointly Files Second Lawsuit on Behalf of Nevada Family Killed in Amtrak Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio Statement Garners National Media Attention about CTE and the NFL
- First Lawsuit Filed Jointly by Prominent Reno and Chicago Law Firms in Deadly Amtrak Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio Uniformly Judged to be the Best of the Best
- Fox River Grove School Bus/Train Crash Settlements Exceed $25 Million
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Civil Lawsuit in Death of Justyna Palka, Pedestrian Killed by Bus
- Corboy & Demetrio Files NHL Concussion Lawsuit for Estate of Steve Montador
- Metra to Pay $11 Million in 2005 Train Crash Derailment
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Discuss Movie “Concussion” with Chicago Tribune
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Lawsuit against NFL in Suicide of Late Chicago Bear Dave Duerson
- Attorney William T. Gibbs Speaks about NFL Litigation Issues at Sports Law Symposium
- Thirteen Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Named IL Leading Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Comments on the Proposed $765 million NFL Settlement
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Concussion Lawsuit for Former Blackhawk Player & Lightning Coach Steve Ludzik
- Montador Family Statement on CTE Findings
- Corboy & Demetrio Garners National Media Attention in Derek Boogaard Case
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $4.5 Million for Family of Girl Killed in CTA Bus Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit against NHL in Death of Derek Boogaard
- Corboy & Demetrio - Leaders in Railroad Catastrophe Litigation
- Thomas A. Demetrio Ranked Second of All Lawyers in State by 2015 IL Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Third Actos Lawsuit Against Diabetes Drug Maker Takeda
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Third Actos Lawsuit Against Diabetes Drug Maker Takeda
- Corboy & Demetrio Sponsors Horse of Honor to Support Police Foundation
- Corboy & Demetrio Appointed to Executive Committee in NHL Concussion Litigation
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains Order Preserving Evidence in CTA Blue Line Derailment
- Corboy & Demetrio’s William T. Gibbs Named to National Trial Lawyers’ Top 100
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2014 IL Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers for 2014
- $1.25 Million Settlement for Injured CTA Blue Line Passenger
- C&D $22.5M Settlement Mentioned by Media Covering Canadian Train Derailment & Explosion
- Record-Setting $6.6 Million Verdict in Nebraska Crash
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Motion to Preserve Evidence in CTA Blue Line Derailment
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Corboy & Demetrio - The Leader in Aviation Litigation
- William T. Gibbs Selected to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- William T. Gibbs Speaks at Annual Conference of Brain Assoc. of Illinois
- Duerson Family Statement
- Eleven Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Named to 2012 Super Lawyers List
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Secure $44 Million for Victims in Metra Train Derailment
- Corboy & Demetrio's Record of Success Representing Brain Damaged Personal Injury Victims
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Civil Lawsuit in Death of Pedestrian Killed by Bus
- Corboy & Demetrio - The Leaders in Medical Malpractice
- 11 Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Named to 2011 Super Lawyers List
- $1.38 Million Kane County Auto Accident Settlement
- Attorney Gibbs Guest Lecturer at John Marshall Law School
- $1.45 Million Settlement for Injured Metra Train Passenger
- Attorney Gibbs Elected to Chicago Police Memorial Foundation Advisory Board
- Install Positive Train Control Systems, Canadian National
- Jury Verdict Secured by Corboy & Demetrio Affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court
- William Gibbs Selected in "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch"
- Thomas Demetrio and William Gibbs Featured in Article "Becoming a Trial Lawyer"
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms
- Record-Setting Settlement by William Gibbs for Three Year-Old Injured at Outdoor Twirling Tunnel
- William Gibbs' article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man's Act," Published
- Tom Demetrio Files Lawsuit Against Hyatt Corporation for Death of Internationally Renowned Hollywood Director Moustapha Akkad by Suicide Bomber in Jordan
- $1.25 Million Settlement Secured by Michael Demetrio and William Gibbs for Family of Realtor Killed by Drunk Driver
- Sports Torts: Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: NFL Concussion Deal Offers Hope to Affected Ex-Players
- “Sporting Judgment” Column, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: NFL Brain Damage Epidemic Continues
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: Smart Business on Behalf of the NFL
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: Fatal Bus Accident Caught on Camera Nets Family $6.75M
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: Painkillers at Play in Lawsuit Aimed at NHL
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: Duerson Suit Joins Others in Pretrial Discovery Process
- Illinois Bar Journal: A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man's Act
- Leading Lawyers, 2014-2015
- Illinois Super Lawyer 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2014
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40, 2013
- "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2009
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star, 2009, 2010, 2011
- CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Philosophy, 2004
- CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Writing, 2002
- American Association for Justice (AAJ) formerly known as American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Civil Practice Committee, Tort Litigation Committee
- Notre Dame Law Association
- Fenwick Bar Association, Treasurer, 2005-2008
- Chicago Police Memorial Foundation Advisory Board Member
- Mercy Home for Boys & Girls
- Our Lady of Mercy Legal Clinic
- Oz Park Baseball Association Board Member
- Ronald McDonald House
Seminars & Speeches
- "NFL/NCAA Concussion Litigation," Hot Topics in Sports Law Seminar, Valparaiso U. School of Law Sports and Entertainment Law Assoc., 2014
- “Confidentiality of Special Medical Records and Electronic Medical Records,” Medical Records Law Seminar, 2010, 2011
- "Motion Practice," Update & Review Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- "Illinois Evidence: The CSI Effect," Criminal and Civil Evidence Issues Seminar, 2008
- Judge, National Collegiate Trial Advocacy Competition, Indiana, 2005, 2006
- Judge, American Trial Lawyers Association Student Trial Advocacy Competition, 2005