Over the past 50 years, Corboy & Demetrio has represented victims in the most complex and serious personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from defective products. Our proficient and successful attorneys have experience in all areas of consumer and business products, including defective design, manufacturing, and labeling.
We combine our exceptional experience with a deep commitment, dedication, and compassion for our clients, a relentless drive to achieve justice, and the resources necessary to pursue such serious and often expensive cases. Our work has resulted in fair and full compensation for our clients.
Below is a sample of the results we have achieved:
- A $7.25 million settlement, secured by partners David R. Barry, Jr., and Robert J. Bingle, was awarded to a young man who suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body when a 55-gallon drum, which had previously contained a chemical, exploded
- A Morris maintenance technician, represented by attorney Edward G. Willer, received a $5 million settlement for head injuries he sustained when he was pinned between an automated guided vehicle and a stationary rack while inspecting the vehicle
- Evenflo and Sears Roebuck & Company agreed to a $2.6 million settlement for the wrongful death of an 8-month-old baby who died when the foldable side rails of his Happy Camper portable crib collapsed on him. Daniel S. Kirschner represented the family
- Corboy & Demetrio reached a $3 million settlement agreement with Kolcraft & Hasbro for the death of a 16-month-old child who was killed in a Playskool Trav'l Lite portable crib when the foldable side rails collapsed on his neck, strangling him. As a result of this horrific occurrence, Kids In Danger (KID), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting children by improving children’s product safety, was founded by the parents of the child
- Represented by Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., a 42 year old man who survived a natural gas explosion as a result of leaking gas from an old Cobra flexible connector behind his stove, settled his lawsuit against People’s Gas Light & Coke Company for $3.25 million
- In a highly publicized product liability case, Corboy & Demetrio represented the families of three individuals who died in the 1982 Tylenol tampering case, a nationwide poisoning scare in which seven persons became sick and died after taking cyanide-laced Tylenol. A confidential settlement was reached with Johnson & Johnson, the product's manufacturer, on the eve of trial by Philip H Corboy on behalf of the victims' families. This led to laws requiring tamper-resistent packaging on all over-the-counter medicines
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Aircraft Defects||Automotive Defects|
|Boat Defects||Bus Defects|
|Defective Products||Drug Product Liability|
|Drug and Medical Device Litigation||Electrical Equipment|
|Explosions||Food Products Liability|
|Manufacturers Liability||Motorcycle Defects|
|Pharmaceutical Litigation||Watercraft Defects|
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Selected for 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Thomas A. Demetrio Applauds 100 Club of Chicago’s 2013 Membership Drive
- "The Powerhouse of Aviation and Medical Malpractice," Thomas Demetrio
- Corboy & Demetrio Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ by U.S. News & Best Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Uniformly Judged to be the Best of the Best
- Corboy & Demetrio Comments on the Proposed $765 million NFL Settlement
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized with National Ranking in Best Law Firms 2013 by U.S. News
- Five Corboy & Demetrio Partners Selected for Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named to Crain’s Who’s Who in Chicago Business 2012
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyer Installed as First Vice President of Women's Bar Group
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Receives Distinguished Alumnus Award from DePaul Univ. College of Law
- Philip H. Corboy, Jr. to Speak at Continuing Legal Education Conference
- Edward G. Willer Named to IL Supreme Court Committee on Character & Fitness
- Thirteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected Leading Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Launches New Mobile Website
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Suit on Behalf of Worker Crushed to Death at Blue Island Plant
- $3.5 Million Settlement for Family of Girl Killed in Fire Started by Utility Lighter
- Corboy & Demetrio - Leaders in Bridge and Structural Collapse and Defect Litigation
- Settlement Over $4 Million Obtained for Injured Worker
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorney Schwartz Appointed to Women’s Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Discusses How the Economy Has Impacted the Practice and Perception of the Law
- William Gibbs Selected in "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch"
- Attorney Francis Patrick Murphy on Porch & Deck Safety
- Attorney Michelle Kohut Elected President of Women Everywhere - Partners in Service Project, Inc.
- Attorney Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Attorney Susan Schwartz Profiled in Feature Article in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Robert Bingle Profiled in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Named Partner Tom Demetrio Featured on Bulletproof Blog
- U.S. Senator Dick Durbin Appoints Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. to Screening Committee
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Appointed to the Equal Justice Illinois Campaign Blue-Ribbon Committee
- Attorney Thomas Demetrio Featured in Illinois Super Lawyer Magazine
- Michelle Kohut, Corboy & Demetrio Trial Lawyer, Elected Treasurer of Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Named One of the Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Edward Willer and Kenneth Lumb Selected as Leading Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 2008
- Corboy & Demetrio Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms
- William Gibbs' article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man's Act," Published
- Kenneth Lumb Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Thomas Demetrio "Lion of Chicago's Trial Bar"
- "Personal Injury Attorney’s Advice: Never Underestimate the Intelligence of Jury"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2007
- Michelle M. Kohut Appointed to Two Boards of Directors
- Thomas A. Demetrio Profiled
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named One of the Top Plaintiff’s Lawyers in Nation
- $7.25 Million Settlement in Product Liability Case
- Tom Demetrio "Stands Alone Atop the Chicago Trial Bar for 100 Million Reasons"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2006
- Tom Demetrio "Chicago’s Top Trial Lawyer"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2005
- Thomas Demetrio "The Star of the Chicago Plaintiffs' Bar"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2004
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2003
- Daniel Kirschner Honored as One of Chicago's Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 Years of Age
- "Aiding Public, Profession on New CBA President's Menu"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2002
- C&D Again Atop Chicago Lawyer Magazine Settlement Survey
- "Chem-Plant Blast Yields $7.6 Million Settlement - Finally"