Railroad Negligence & FELA
When a crossing gate does not work, a light is defective or a warning does not sound, a railroad has failed to exercise its ordinary duty of care. Should an injury or death occur as a result of the railroad’s negligence, Corboy & Demetrio has the experience and the resources necessary to pursue such serious and often expensive cases.
Our skilled attorneys have the expertise required in all areas of railroad negligence. That exceptional experience, combined with a deep commitment, dedication and compassion and a relentless drive to achieve justice and fair and full compensation, has resulted in outstanding verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Below is a sample of the results we have achieved.
- A $22.5 million settlement for the victim of the Rockford trail derailment.
- A $6.5 million settlement for the family of a dance instructor killed by train
- A $29.6 million record-setting verdict secured by Corboy & Demetrio attorneys Tom Demetrio and William Gibbs for a passenger injured when a Metra train derailed and crashed. It is the largest verdict in Illinois for an individual injured in a mass transit crash.
Over $41 million has been recovered for twenty-seven of the thirty-five victims or their families represented by Corboy & Demetrio in the 2005 Metra train crash. Eight cases are still pending.
- In a highly publicized and tragic railroad collisions, Corboy & Demetrio represented the families of three high-school students killed and seven others injured when a commuter train collided with a school bus in northwest suburban Chicago. The global settlement on the case was over $25 million Thomas A. Demetrio and managing partner Robert J. Bingle served as lead plaintiffs' counsel in the litigation stemming from the tragedy. The accident led to the nationwide inspections of 3,000 rail crossings with similar equipment and to new safety procedures and training of bus operators in the school district in which the collision occurred.
- In another railroad case, managing partner Robert J. Bingle obtained a $7.5 million verdict - the highest amount awarded in Illinois to an individual suffering the loss of a limb - after the plaintiff was struck by a train.
- In a case handled by partner Patrick Murphy and Robert Bingle, a Cook County jury awarded nearly $3 million to a man who lost half of his left leg and part of his right foot in a train accident.
- Partner Michael K. Demetrio was the lead attorney in litigation stemming from the crash of an Amtrak train in Bourbonnais, Illinois. On behalf of the victims represented by Corboy & Demetrio, millions have been recovered by the victims or the victims’ families.
- In pre-trial mediation conferences, attorneys for the families of three railroad workers electrocuted on the job reached settlement agreements with the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad Company, Taylor Machine Works and Commonwealth Edison totaling $10 million. Managing Partner Robert J. Bingle represented the family of one of the victims.
- Corboy & Demetrio attorneys settled an FELA claim on behalf of the estate of an employee of the Union Pacific railroad company for $1.4 million. The employee was struck by a train while working with the Union Pacific on a surfacing gang.
The law firm represents 66 victims of the crash. We also represent a California family who was on their way home from church when the car they were in entered a railroad crossing where the gates were not lowered and the car was hit by a Metrolink train resulting in two deaths.
Our representation includes but is not limited to the following areas:
|Railroad Accidents||Railroad Litigation|
|Railroad Negligence||Federal Employee Liability Act|
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America, 2016 Edition
- Corboy & Demetrio Uniformly Judged to be the Best of the Best
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $22.5 Million for Victim of Rockford Train Derailment & Explosion
- Corboy & Demetrio Obtains $6 Million for Family of Dancer Killed by Amtrak Train
- Corboy & Demetrio - Leaders in Railroad Catastrophe Litigation
- Millions for Victims of Amtrak Train Collision by Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys
- $29.6 Million Record-Setting Verdict for Passenger in Metra Train Crash
- First Lawsuit Filed Jointly by Prominent Reno and Chicago Law Firms in Deadly Amtrak Crash
- Six Corboy & Demetrio Attorneys Selected for 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Metra to Pay $11 Million in 2005 Train Crash Derailment
- Thomas A. Demetrio Applauds 100 Club of Chicago’s 2013 Membership Drive
- "The Powerhouse of Aviation and Medical Malpractice," Thomas Demetrio
- Corboy & Demetrio Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ by U.S. News & Best Lawyers
- $1.25 Million Settlement for Injured CTA Blue Line Passenger
- C&D $22.5M Settlement Mentioned by Media Covering Canadian Train Derailment & Explosion
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Thomas A. Demetrio Signs Statement of Support for the U.S. National Guard and Reserve
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized with National Ranking in Best Law Firms 2013 by U.S. News
- Five Corboy & Demetrio Partners Selected for Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named to Crain’s Who’s Who in Chicago Business 2012
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Receives Distinguished Alumnus Award from DePaul Univ. College of Law
- Philip H. Corboy, Jr. to Speak at Continuing Legal Education Conference
- Edward G. Willer Named to IL Supreme Court Committee on Character & Fitness
- Thirteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected Leading Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Secure $44 Million for Victims in Metra Train Derailment
- Corboy & Demetrio Launches New Mobile Website
- Train Crash Victims Represented by Corboy & Demetrio
- Over $1 Million Verdict for Driver Killed When Car Hits Stopped Train
- Railroad Crossing Crash Litigation Settles for Over $25 Million
- $1.45 Million Settlement for Injured Metra Train Passenger
- Install Positive Train Control Systems, Canadian National
- Corboy & Demetrio Attorney Schwartz Appointed to Women’s Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Discusses How the Economy Has Impacted the Practice and Perception of the Law
- William Gibbs Selected in "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch"
- Attorney Francis Patrick Murphy on Porch & Deck Safety
- Attorney Michelle Kohut Elected President of Women Everywhere - Partners in Service Project, Inc.
- Attorney Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Attorney Susan Schwartz Profiled in Feature Article in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Robert Bingle Profiled in Leading Lawyers Magazine
- Named Partner Tom Demetrio Featured on Bulletproof Blog
- U.S. Senator Dick Durbin Appoints Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. to Screening Committee
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Appointed to the Equal Justice Illinois Campaign Blue-Ribbon Committee
- Attorney Thomas Demetrio Featured in Illinois Super Lawyer Magazine
- Michelle Kohut, Corboy & Demetrio Trial Lawyer, Elected Treasurer of Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Attorney Dan Kirschner Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Dan Kirschner Featured on NBC, Channel 5 News, Regarding CTA Notice Requirements for Lawsuits
- Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr. Named One of the Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Edward Willer and Kenneth Lumb Selected as Leading Lawyers
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 2008
- Corboy & Demetrio Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms
- William Gibbs' article, "A Quick Guide to the Illinois Dead Man's Act," Published
- Michael Demetrio Discusses Chinatown Redline CTA Truck Crash Court Proceedings with Media
- CTA Red Line Chinatown Truck Case Discussed by Michael Demetrio on WBBM Newsradio 780
- Kenneth Lumb Featured Speaker at Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Thomas Demetrio "Lion of Chicago's Trial Bar"
- "Personal Injury Attorney’s Advice: Never Underestimate the Intelligence of Jury"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2007
- Michelle M. Kohut Appointed to Two Boards of Directors
- Thomas A. Demetrio Profiled
- Thomas A. Demetrio Named One of the Top Plaintiff’s Lawyers in Nation
- Tom Demetrio "Stands Alone Atop the Chicago Trial Bar for 100 Million Reasons"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2006
- Tom Demetrio "Chicago’s Top Trial Lawyer"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2005
- Thomas Demetrio "The Star of the Chicago Plaintiffs' Bar"
- Michael Demetrio Comments on Trucker's Conviction in Bourbonnais Amtrak Train Crash
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2004
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2003
- Daniel Kirschner Honored as One of Chicago's Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 Years of Age
- "Aiding Public, Profession on New CBA President's Menu"
- C&D Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms, 2002
- C&D Again Atop Chicago Lawyer Magazine Settlement Survey