$3.25 Million Settlement For Man Injured in Home Explosion

A 42 year-old man who survived a natural gas explosion at his residence in Chicago settled his lawsuit against People’s Gas Light & Coke Company for $3.25 million. He was represented by attorney Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., a Chicago personal injury lawyer with the law firm of Corboy & Demetrio, who has successfully prosecuted several fire and gas explosion cases. When the homeowner returned home from an outing with his 11-year-old daughter and entered his house, he smelled gas and sent his daughter outside to wait until he investigated. Upon entering the kitchen, the source of the odor, the homeowner switched on the overhead light which sparked the explosion. It was later determined that gas had been leaking out of an old Cobra flexible connector found behind his stove. The homeowner suffered third-degree burns on portions of his face, neck, arms, and upper body, which left him with permanent scarring.