René A. Torrado, Jr.
René A. Torrado, Jr., a former President of the Chicago Bar Association, is a distinguished and respected member of the Chicago legal community. A 1969 graduate of the University of Notre Dame and a 1973 graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, René began his legal career as a law clerk for U.S. District Judge James Lawrence King in the Southern District of Florida. Following his clerkship, he participated in the U.S. Department of Justice Honors Program as a trial attorney in the Antitrust Division and as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia.
After completing his government service in 1978, René represented plaintiffs in antitrust matters and defendants in criminal prosecutions in a Washington, DC law firm. In 1981, René moved to Chicago and continued his trial practice with Reuben & Proctor and then formed his own firm. In 1987, René joined Vedder, Price, Kaufman & Kammholz, where he remained as a trial lawyer until joining Corboy & Demetrio in 2003.
René has represented individuals and corporations in a broad spectrum of civil matters. His clients have included corporate executives in executive compensation matters, class actions, shareholder derivative actions, and securities litigation; and individuals in trade secret and business tort litigation. As a trial lawyer, his representation has included matters involving antitrust, securities, RICO, contract, and fraud claims.
He has also represented Chicago area professional sports teams in workers' compensation claims and personal injury actions. On behalf of trade associations, he has both prosecuted and defended commercial claims such as antitrust matters, contract claims, and constitutional claims.
His courtroom successes include a $20 million judgment on behalf of a commercial financial institution in a lawsuit against corporate and individual defendants accused of violating RICO, committing fraud, and breach of contract and an $8 million judgment on behalf of an inventor against a multi-national healthcare product manufacturer.
Active in the Chicago Bar Association, (CBA), René has served as General Counsel of the Association from 1988 to1995, President from 1995 to1996 and chair of the Appellate Review Committee of the Judicial Evaluation Committee, where he is currently a member. With René as General Counsel, the CBA was successful in its constitutional challenge to proposed voter initiative imposing term limits on members of the Illinois General Assembly. René currently serves as President of the Chicago Inn of Court. He is a member of the Special Committee on the Illinois Constitutional Convention and is active in the Center for Conflict Resolution and the Chicago Inn of Court.
René is listed in "The Best Lawyers in America," an invitation-only, peer-selected publication. He is one of the top 5% of Trial Lawyers in Illinois as determined by the Leading Lawyers Network, is an Illinois Super Lawyer, and has an AV rating - the highest possible for any attorney - from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
American Bar Association, Jury Initiatives Task Force, Co-Chair, 2000
American Inns of Court, Chicago Inn of Court, Master of the Bench
Chicago Bar Association, President, 1995 - 1996, General Counsel, 1988 - 1995, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Appellate Review Committee Member, 2008-2011, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Appellate Review Committee, Chair, 2002
Illinois Constitutional Convention, Special Committee Member, 2008
Seventh Circuit American Jury Project Commission, Member, 2005
AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell - Highest level awarded for professional excellence
The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation
Illinois Super Lawyers - Top 5% of all Illinois attorneys
Leading Lawyers Network Member - Top 5% of all Illinois attorneys
Chicago Inn of Courts, President, 2011-2012
American Bar Association (ABA), Jury Initiatives Task Force, Co-Chair, 2000-2001
Chicago Bar Association (CBA), President, 1995; First Vice-President, 1994; General Counsel, 1988-1995; Judicial Evaluation Committee, Appellate Review Committee Chairman, 2002-2003, Member, 2008
Chicago Inn of Court
Cook County Sheriff's Committee on Cook County Jail, 2003-2006
District of Columbia Bar Association
Florida Bar Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)
Leading Lawyer Network
Seventh Circuit American Jury Project Commission, 2005-2006
Center for Conflict Resolution, 1997-2000
Special Committee on Illinois Constitutional Convention, 2008
"The Best Lawyers in America," Member
- Corboy & Demetrio Chicago Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Named to Illinois Super Lawyers01.2009
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2008
- Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, 09.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2007
- Chicago Magazine, 08.2006
- Positive ThinkingChicago Bar Association (CBA) Record, 05.1996
- The Challenge of Merit SelectionCBA Record, 04.1996
- President’s PageCBA Record, February/March, 1996
- Remembering Judge Hubert WillCBA Record, 01.1996
- Applause for the CourtCBA Record, 11.1995
- Lend a HandCBA Record, 10.1995
- The Human ElementCBA Record, 09.1995
- Chicago Is...A Lawyer’s Kind of TownCBA Record, June/July, 1995
Seminars & Speeches
- "New Lawyer Tool Kit: Basic Skills Course for the New Attorney," Chicago Bar Association, 2009
- "Professionalism," Chicago Bar Association, 2006
- Instructor, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Midwest Regional Program, 2005
- “Litigating an Accountant’s Liability Suit: Dispositive Motions and Trial,” Accountant’s Liability Seminar, American Bar Association, April 2001
- “Cameras in the Courtroom,” Illinois News Broadcasters Association, 1995
- “Boot Camp for Aspiring Litigators,” Chicago Bar Association , 1994-1999
- “RICO: A Sampling of Issues,” Hispanic National Bar Association, 1991
- “How to Take a Deposition,” Chicago Bar Association, 1990-1992, 1994
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1973
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1969
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1981
- Florida, 1973
- District of Columbia, 1985