- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Fordham University, New York, New York, B.A., 1977
- St. Francis Hospital School of Nursing, Evanston, Illinois, 1964
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois, 1986
Attorney Margaret M. Power joined the Chicago law firm of Corboy & Demetrio in 1992 as a medical malpractice lawyer. Her specialty is complex medical negligence cases where her 15 years of extensive experience as a registered nurse is invaluable in her analysis and preparation for trial.
She has investigated and pursued malpractice cases against hospitals and doctors in a wide array of medical specialties, ranging from obstetrics to anesthesiology. Her comprehensive knowledge, tenacity, and dedication has resulted in numerous multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts on behalf of clients who have sustained serious injuries.
Among her many accomplishments, she has secured a $9.5 million settlement for the family of a baby injured when her delivery was delayed and improperly performed by a nurse midwife; $7.75 million settlement for the family of a newborn injured when his bilirubin levels were not properly monitored or treated; $7 million settlement for a young boy injured when he was not properly treated in the emergency room; $7 million settlement for the wrongful death of a woman after she had a kidney stone removed; and a $7 million settlement for the family of a young child injured when doctors failed to properly place a central venous catheter. After three weeks at trial, a $20 million settlement was reached in a birth trauma case tried by Margaret and her partners where a newborn suffered permanent injuries during delivery resulting in limitation in both arms and the need for ventilator support while sleeping.
Ms. Power is active in regional and national bar associations and is Treasurer of the Birth Trauma Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice. Margaret has an AV rating - the highest possible for any attorney - from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
- Corboy & Demetrio Recognized in 2013 Top Ranked Law Firms in Fortune Magazine
- Fourteen Corboy & Demetrio Lawyers Selected 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Daniel S. Kirschner & Margaret M. Power are Named Leading Lawyers for 2012
- Corboy & Demetrio - The Leaders in Medical Malpractice
- $3.5 Million Settlement for Family of Girl Killed in Fire Started by Utility Lighter
- Corboy & Demetrio Secures $9.5 Million Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Settlement
- Corboy & Demetrio Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawyers Profiled in Law Bulletin’s Women In Law 2008
- $7.75 Million Settlement for Failure to Properly Treat Infant for Elevated Bilirubin
- Corboy & Demetrio Named One of Chicago's Top Law Firms
- $1.25 Million Settlement for Family of Child who Suffered Stroke Prior to Birth
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), formerly known as Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA), Treasurer, Birth Trauma Litigation Group
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)
Seminars & Speeches
- "Defenses in Obstetrical Cases," Medical Negligence Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1996
- "Preparing Plaintiff's Experts for Direct Examination," Birth Trauma Litigation Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Ontario, 1996